GRAND RAPIDS — The Itasca County Board unanimously voted to fly both the new and old Minnesota state flags at its meeting on Tuesday, May 19.
Commissioners have been hearing public comment on the issue for several weeks and had been planning to make a decision Tuesday on the issue that’s been making the rounds in local government chambers.
All of them noted they heard from people on both sides, but perhaps the loudest contingent wondered why it was on the agenda.
“Opening fishing, it didn’t matter where I went. It seemed like somebody wanted to talk about it,” said Commissioner Casey Venema. “Bigger portion of it was the fact that, why are we even doing this, this is not the state level.”
He added that no matter how the Board voted, he expected abusive comments.
Among considerations were whether to fly just one version, both or neither flag, and if they flew both, which one should fly over the other on the same pole, or if they should be displayed on separate poles.
The new Minnesota state flag is already outside the county government center. Only the U.S. flag sits in the Board’s meeting room.
Ultimately, the four present commissioners settled on both flags flying outside on separate poles.
Board Chair Cory Smith said aside from the county’s decision, he plans to take action.
“I don’t care if it’s once a month until something happens, a letter to the governor insisting that something gets put on a ballot, so people can have a choice and let their voices be heard," Smith said.
County Administrator Brett Skyles said they’ll need to order and install two new flag poles.
In the three years since Minnesota adopted the new flag, some local governments — including Crosslake and Babbitt — voted to continue to fly the former flag. Several cities have more recently made the move, like Wadena and Cohasset. Most in the recent wave have been in the Twin Cities suburbs and exurbs.
-
Plus: Meat processing facility in Staples opens
-
Thirty-three communities received nearly $5 million in funding, including Virginia, Hill City and other Northern Minnesota cities. A new DNR grant closes Sept. 14, 2026.
-
Local livestock producers face limited options for meat processing and slaughter amid market consolidation and workforce shortages.
-
Walz is instructing the DNR not to grant permits. This move bears a strong risk of litigation over Twin Metals, which wants to extract copper, nickel, cobalt and other valuable metals from underground veins.
-
And: Glen's Army Navy in Grand Rapids to close after 80 years.
-
Glen’s Army Navy Store in Grand Rapids, founded in 1946, began liquidating its inventory Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, after 80 years in business.
-
The KAXE Music Team on new music from Megasound, Womack Sisters, Margaret Glaspy, The Mary Wallopers, Ibibio Sound Machine, Angela Autumn, and Mike Campbell & The Dirty Knobs. Plus T. Rex in '76.
-
The U.S. Department of Justice sued Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon over his refusal to hand over the voter registration list, which includes voters’ names, birthdates, addresses and partial Social Security numbers.
-
In an email to KAXE, the FBI provided statements on the active investigations into recent incidents on the Red Lake Nation.
-
Minnesota authors Laura Hern, Candace Simar, David Bruns, Bruce Carlson, Julie Jo Larson and William Burleson talk about their books and writing.