Minnesota's new legislative session is underway, and lawmakers are expected to take a fresh look at fraud prevention efforts following high-profile cases.
Fraudsters posing as phony service providers have plagued Minnesota's social safety net programs. Either through legislative action or executive orders, the state has made moves to prevent future taxpayer dollars from being stolen. But there are calls for additional solutions that have support from legislators in both parties.
Mark Haveman, executive director of the nonpartisan Minnesota Center for Fiscal Excellence, suggested it's worth monitoring how recent efforts play out – but agrees policymakers shouldn't stop looking.
"There's something missing within the system of how we look at how these programs are designed and managed," he said.
A key debate that remains unresolved is whether the state should create a new Office of Inspector General. That bill gained traction last session but ultimately faded following concerns it would be redundant. Minnesota's fraud scandals have resulted in political finger-pointing, but Haveman said he feels there's a specific area where lawmakers from both parties have fallen short, and that's updating antiquated IT systems within human service programs.
As the situation continues to garner news headlines, Haveman said, it's understandable to think that lawmakers have to respond in a way that resonates with taxpayers.
"I understand citizens' frustration," he said. "I understand the fact that there are providers there who have been operating as they should and doing good work for the state of Minnesota that are feeling the effects of the actions that have had to be taken."
As for this session, House Republicans are vocal about renewing talks on the Office of Inspector General. Meanwhile, Rep. Steve Elkins, D-Bloomington, said he's been speaking with Minnesota Information Technology Services on what needs to be fixed, with hopes money can be found to make upgrades.
-
Sacred Bundle, a nonprofit through the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, is expected to close the sale for the downtown site on Feb. 27, 2026.
-
Plus: 2142 and Mountain Iron-Buhl select new superintendent; Staples-Motley, Aitkin to host open houses for referendums; MnDOT public transit app expands in Greater Minnesota; and Bemidji girls hockey falls to Edina at state.
-
The former lawmaker's trial is slated to begin March 30, 2026. Eichorn was charged with soliciting a minor in 2025 after a prostitution sting operation in Bloomington, where an undercover officer posed as a 17-year-old online.
-
Aitkin and Staples-Motley school districts are bringing referendums back to the ballots on April 14, 2026, seeking voter approval for construction bonds.
-
The public is invited to fill out an online survey as the state's judicial system works to update its strategic plan, which is updated every two years.
-
Detroit Lakes will compete at state Friday and Saturday, Feb. 20-21, and five Northland athletes from Detroit Lakes and Pillager will also compete individually.
-
It's the Warriors' third consecutive high kick title and their first jazz title in school history.
-
As some area lakes boast nearly 3 feet of ice during the deep freeze of winter, drivers compete week after week on a frozen racetrack in Laporte.
-
The cause of the Feb. 18, 2026, fire is under investigation, and the names of those impacted have not been released.
-
Plus: Sheriffs in Hubbard, Lake and Polk counties announce retirement plans; Minnesotans take advantage of deep freeze with lake ice racing; and Northland girl hockey players are so far 1-1 in the state tournament.