Minnesota regulators are considering testimony they heard Thursday, Sept. 25, on a proposed acquisition that could set a new tone in the world of public utilities.
A decision is expected soon on whether Minnesota Power should be sold to a private equity firm. The Public Utilities Commission votes Friday on a petition for purchase of the utility by Global Infrastructure Partners. The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board would be minority owners.
Maggie Schuppert, director of strategic initiatives for the environmental advocacy group CURE, said although a recent settlement with the state Commerce Department added some conditions, they still worry the new owners would focus on profits, setting a dangerous precedent.
"Clearly if this deal goes through, private equity interests — they see the arguments against it shot down — they're going to know that our utility sector across the country is 'open for business,'" Schuppert observed.
Schuppert and other opponents contended because of how the deal is structured, ratepayers could face higher bills. Utility officials said the new owners would give them financial flexibility to meet the state's mandate for carbon-free electricity by 2040. In a nonbinding opinion this summer, an administrative law judge said the deal would not be in the public's interest. The commission's vote is expected Oct. 3.
Bethany Owen, president and CEO of Minnesota Power's parent company Allete, said in her statement before regulators, they have strongly taken into account the concerns raised by skeptics.
"Minnesota Power and our partners are making significant, meaningful and even historic commitments benefiting our customers, our communities and our employees," Owen stated.
During the hearing, commissioners questioned why the proposal did not include the added conditions, meant to reassure the public, in the initial request. Utility officials responded the deal came together quickly and the process included highlighting concerns.
Minnesota Power provides electricity to nearly 150,000 customers in the northeastern and north-central regions of the state.
-
Plus: 2142 and Mountain Iron-Buhl select new superintendent; Staples-Motley, Aitkin to host open houses for referendums; MnDOT public transit app expands in Greater Minnesota; and Bemidji girls hockey falls to Edina at state.
-
The former lawmaker's trial is slated to begin March 30, 2026. Eichorn was charged with soliciting a minor in 2025 after a prostitution sting operation in Bloomington, where an undercover officer posed as a 17-year-old online.
-
Aitkin and Staples-Motley school districts are bringing referendums back to the ballots on April 14, 2026, seeking voter approval for construction bonds.
-
The public is invited to fill out an online survey as the state's judicial system works to update its strategic plan, which is updated every two years.
-
Detroit Lakes will compete at state Friday and Saturday, Feb. 20-21, and five Northland athletes from Detroit Lakes and Pillager will also compete individually.
-
It's the Warriors' third consecutive high kick title and their first jazz title in school history.
-
As some area lakes boast nearly 3 feet of ice during the deep freeze of winter, drivers compete week after week on a frozen racetrack in Laporte.
-
The cause of the Feb. 18, 2026, fire is under investigation, and the names of those impacted have not been released.
-
Plus: Sheriffs in Hubbard, Lake and Polk counties announce retirement plans; Minnesotans take advantage of deep freeze with lake ice racing; and Northland girl hockey players are so far 1-1 in the state tournament.
-
The Valentine’s Day Iron Range Barn Dance united a crowd of all ages and skill levels for an evening of community dancing in Bovey.