As many Minnesotans dig out from an early spring snowstorm, the future of a federal program that helps low-income households pay their heating bills is less certain.
State-level voices cite new spending cuts under the Trump administration. The most recent mass layoffs may include the entire staff that administers the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program — according to reports seen by the Citizens Utility Board of Minnesota. The "LIHEAP" funds are sent to state agencies for distribution.
Annie Levenson-Falk, Citizens Utility Board of Minnesota director, worries about payment delays for Minnesotans in need if federal staff isn't there.
"It's pretty concerning to see just the complete elimination of the staff on what is a vital and extremely popular program," she explained.
In an emailed statement, the Minnesota Commerce Department says so far this season, the program has helped about 107,000 households cover their utility bills. Amid the staffing upheaval, it anticipates running out of funds to help new applicants as early as mid-April.
The loss of LIHEAP staff comes at a time when energy customers are bracing for potentially higher bills economists link to the escalating trade war pursued by President Donald Trump. Levenson-Falk said her organization is watching to see how this region could be affected as America's trade partners respond to sweeping tariffs.
"It's going to really vary depending on where you live. Some utilities get a lot of electricity from Canada and some get much less, but I do think it could have a substantial effect on a lot of Minnesotans," she continued.
Minnesota officials are not only worried about the effects as the last bit of winter weather hangs on. There is also concern about what will happen this summer to households at risk, between the disruption of energy assistance and tariff-induced price hikes.
Levensen-Falk encouraged people who are eligible for aid to keep applying, and reaching out to service providers with questions.
-
Sacred Bundle, a nonprofit through the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, is expected to close the sale for the downtown site on Feb. 27, 2026.
-
In December 2025, federal prosecutors announced new charges in a widespread Medicaid fraud investigation, leading to new political turmoil about who was at fault and what should be done.
-
Plus: 2142 and Mountain Iron-Buhl select new superintendent; Staples-Motley, Aitkin to host open houses for referendums; MnDOT public transit app expands in Greater Minnesota; and Bemidji girls hockey falls to Edina at state.
-
In this episode, co-hosts Charlie Mitchell and Heidi Holtan learn about leks and look forward to the return of American kestrels.Send us a voice memo through Speak Pipe!Check out the mating dance of the Prairie Chicken (as photographed by KAXE photographer Lorie Shaull) here, or the Sharp-tailed Grouse here.
-
The former lawmaker's trial is slated to begin March 30, 2026. Eichorn was charged with soliciting a minor in 2025 after a prostitution sting operation in Bloomington, where an undercover officer posed as a 17-year-old online.
-
Aitkin and Staples-Motley school districts are bringing referendums back to the ballots on April 14, 2026, seeking voter approval for construction bonds.
-
The public is invited to fill out an online survey as the state's judicial system works to update its strategic plan, which is updated every two years.
-
Detroit Lakes will compete at state Friday and Saturday, Feb. 20-21, and five Northland athletes from Detroit Lakes and Pillager will also compete individually.
-
It's the Warriors' third consecutive high kick title and their first jazz title in school history.
-
Events this week include an emerging artist showcase in Bemidji and Stage North Theater's production of "Forbidden Broadway" in Brainerd.