New books and events at Brainerd and Bemidji public libraries, plus reader recommendations
Learn about new books and events from the Brainerd and Bemidji public libraries. Also, readers chime in on favorite books about the great outdoors.
Among books on the new bookshelf at the Bemidji Public Library, you'll find Michael Meuers' Road to Ponemah: The Teachings of Larry Stillday, Lonely Planet's Morocco, and a wealth of books on mushrooms.
Bemidji Public Library's Ara Gallo said "mushrooms are huge right now," attributing our newfound interest to cuisine or possibly because of the popular HBO series The Last of Us, where fungi are heavily featured.
Amanda from the Brainerd Public Library recommends two new murder mysteries: Shady Hollow by Juneau Black, and the new James Patterson
book The House of Wolves, co-written by Mike Lupica.
Additionally, tickets are now on sale for the Friends of the Brainerd Public Library's "Wine and Words" fund-raising event in July. Featured authors include: Lorna Landvik, Sarah Pekkanen, J. Ryan Stradal, Marcie R. Rendon, Kaira Rouda and Andre Solo. More information can be found on the "Wine and Words" event website.
Finally, we recently asked our community of readers "What are your favorite books about our great outdoors?" We received several great book recommendations on our What We're Reading Facebook page, including:
- Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose, recommended by Dave;
- Wanderlust: A History of Walking, by Rebecca Solnit, recommended by Rose;
- On the Road, by Jack Kerouac, recommended by Andrew;
- The Old Ways, by Robert Macfarlane, recommended by Jack;
- Grandma Gatewood's Walk, by Ben Montgomery and Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloaskey, recommended by Tracy;
- Tales of a Female Nomad, by Rita Golden Gelman, recommended by DeeDee;
- Julie Larson reminds us of her book 100 Things To Do in Minnesota Northwoods Before You Die; and
- The Garden Primer, by Barbara Damrosch, recommended by Bonnie.
Visit our What We're Reading page to chime in with your favorite books about the outdoors. As always, check with your area public library for these books and more.
Looking for a good book recommendation? Want to recommend a book you've just read? Check out our What We're Reading page on Facebook, or text us at 218-326-1234.
What We're Reading is made possible in part by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund and the citizens of Minnesota.